Thursday 28 January 2010

Hand-ins and a possible new direction..

The last few months have been quite chaotic. Assignments have been due so I have not been getting much sleep - some days I have been awake for up to 24 hours at a time so huge shots of caffeine have been pumped through my system. I didn’t leave things to the last minute but there was just so much to do..anyway I got there in the end and I’m pleased to say that I’m quietly confident ;-)

Part of last semester involved an editorial project where I decided to a series of documentary style images of a tribute band. This has been a project that I have really enjoyed - I have made some great contacts and this has led on to some other projects and jobs which I will talk about later :-) For years I’ve been interested in music photography and candid backstage-style images so this gave me the chance to try it out. I don’t know why I hadn’t tried it sooner - music and photography are the two big things in my life so mixing them together seems the natural thing to do. Being a music photographer would be my ideal job.

‘Absolute Bowie’ are a great tribute band and I have, so far, enjoyed photographing them. I’m pleased to say that they have been using my images for their website and they are also in process of designing their new promotional posters which will hopefully contain image(s) taken by yours truly ;-)

Here’s a screen grab from Absolute Bowie’s website a few weeks ago, containing three of my images:


I have been in contact with other tribute acts and intend to photograph more ‘tributes’ in the coming year to learn more and do an extended project about the tribute act culture. I have also been in contact with a John Lennon act/impersonator who currently lives and works in Spain - so that may be something for the late Summer ;-)

Plenty more to follow...including a band shoot I done a few days ago.

CD

No comments: